I was first introduced to Skye Jethani when my small group read The Divine Commodity: Discovering a Faith Beyond Consumer Christianity nearly a decade ago. The Divine Commodity was a thought-provoking read that made for excellent discussion fodder...
Archive for January 2018
I'm a big believer in the power of experiential learning. To this end, instead of giving a talk about prayer, I'd much rather create a series of prayer stations designed to give students the opportunity to pray in a variety of ways.
Over the next...
When choosing a curriculum (especially when intentionally choosing a curriculum using these questions), the hope is that you’ll be able to use the curriculum as is. Unfortunately, that very rarely happens. Instead, you’ll likely have to tweak the...
I was first introduced to Henri Nouwen in grad school, when I was assigned In the Name of Jesus, still one of the most influential books on leadership I’ve ever read. Since then, I’ve enjoyed reading other works by Nouwen, including The Return of...
Jen Bradbury on Youth Ministry
Jen serves as the Minister of Youth and Family at Atonement Lutheran Church in Barrington, Illinois. A veteran youth worker, Jen holds an MA in Youth Ministry Leadership from Huntington University. Jen is the author of The Jesus Gap: What Teens Actually Believe about Jesus (The Youth Cartel), The Real Jesus (The Youth Cartel), Unleashing the Hidden Potential of Your Student Leaders (Abingdon), and A Mission That Matters (Abingdon). Her writing has also appeared in YouthWorker Journal, Immerse, and The Christian Century. Jen is also the Assistant Director of Arbor Research Group where she has led many national studies. When not doing ministry or research, she and her husband, Doug, and daughter, Hope, can be found traveling and enjoying life together.More about Jen
A Mission That Matters: How To Do Short-Term Missions Without Long-Term Harm
Unleashing the Hidden Potential of your Student Leaders
The Real Jesus
The Jesus Gap
What Teens Actually Believe About Jesus
Based on National Research
- 7 questions to help you decide when to cancel youth group
- Review: I'd Rather Be Reading by Anne Bogel
- 7 questions to help you determine the developmental appropriateness of a curriculum
- Why you can't sell hope
- Review: Learning to Speak God from Scratch by Jonathan Merritt
- Review: Sustainable Children's Ministry by Mark DeVries & Annette Safstrom
- Review: Called by Mark Labberton
- Five roles of adult leaders in large groups
- Guest Post: Four ways to cultivate partnerships with those you seek to serve by Emily Gorz
- Review: Grace Like Scarlett by Adriel Booker
- In defense of structure
- Guest Post: What I learned from being THE leader on a summer mission trip by Joe Yucha
- Processing what you learn
- Review: Consider Your Calling by Gordon T. Smith
- Guest Post: What I learned as a mission trip adult leader by Andy Waters
- Review: Raise Your Voice by Kathy Khang
- Guest Post: The impact of a high school mission trip by Lindsey Coleman
- Review: Ready or Not by Drew Moser and Jess Fankhauser
- Why you shouldn't try out adult leaders on mission trips
- 16 years ago